To enjoy flawless skin, you need to follow a proper skin care regimen. Without making any effort from your end, you simply cannot imagine to have beautiful and flawless skin. It is true that if you devote time and energy to look after your skin, the results will be reflected on how your skin looks.
But often after following a strict regimen, the skin does not look good. This can be due to some of the unhealthy habits that people often become habituated to without having knowledge of their consequences.
Here are the 10 deadly habits that can ruin your skin:
- Not removing makeup: Often after a long day we become so tired that we ignore the importance of washing our face properly before going to bed. Not removing your makeup and washing your face can lead to clogged pores and can even cause acne. At the time when we sleep, the body temperature increases slightly due to which the skin surface absorbs whatever is there on the surface at a rapid rate. So, for healthy skin, never go to bed without washing your face properly.
- Use of wrong water: The temperature of the water that you use to wash your face also has a huge impact on your skin health. Rinsing your face with icy cold water will not tighten the pores, whereas hot water will make your skin dehydrated. Lukewarm water is best for your skin irrespective of which type it is.
- Hot showers: During the winter months, we often make the mistake of taking a hot shower. But we do not know that hot water from the shower can damage the facial skin to a great extent. The skin on the face is very delicate and sensitive and use of hot water can weaken the capillaries. This can ultimately cause skin redness and dryness.
- Smoking: Smoking is not just injurious to health but at the same time it is very bad your skin health. Smoking accelerates the aging process and hence your face will have various signs of aging like wrinkles, brown spots, and fine lines at an early age. Smoking will even delay the repairing process of your skin as it reduces the flow of blood in the skin. So, quit smoking today to look younger.
- Alcohol: Excessive alcohol consumption can dehydrate the skin and remove its natural oils, making it extremely dry. Dry skin needs lots of care to make it look good and healthy. Also alcohol can cause causing permanent damage to your skin.
- Lack of sleep: The cells in the body produce more protein while you are asleep, which in turn aids the body in recovering from damage caused by ultraviolet radiation, and other harmful exposures. Also sleep deficiency can cause stress, which in turn can aggravate your skin conditions like acne, eczema and psoriasis. To enjoy healthy skin, it is recommended to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night.
- Dirty makeup brushes: Avoid using used dirty makeup brushes as this can lead to acne because of bacterial infection. You can clean the brushes with a good quality makeup brush cleaner, which will not only remove the dirt, makeup, and bacteria but will also disinfect and condition the bristles. You can even wash your make-up brushes using a gentle shampoo at least once a week and let it dry overnight.
- Over exfoliating: Gentle exfoliation is the best thing that you can do to your skin. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells that accumulate on the skin surface which helps to get rid of the dull, dry skin and will reveal a youthful and fresh looking skin. But when over exfoliating happens it can have adverse affect on your skin. Too much exfoliating or harsh cleansing can worsen breakouts and exacerbate oil production.
- Use of wrong products: Often people make the mistake of picking up wrong makeup products. Use of such products will not do any good to your skin and eventually it may even damage your skin beyond repaid. This is one reason why experts always recommend buying products according to your ski type. If you are not aware of your skin type or have some confusion regarding the products you use, then you must consult a beautician to get the right answers.
- Ignoring the importance of sunscreen: Irrespective of whether it is summer or winter, you need to use sunscreen daily before going out in the sun. It is very essential to protect your skin from the harmful UV rays of sun. Prolonged sun exposure without the protection of a good quality sunscreen lotion can cause serious skin damage. It is advisable to apply a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 before going out. At the same time wear well covered clothes and carry an umbrella to provide maximum protection to your skin.
If you want your skin to look radiant, glowing and young, avoid these common bad skin habits. Also follow a good skin care regimen daily without any fail.