Waxing is a popular method of hair removal. People mostly prefer waxing to get rid of unwanted hair on the underarms, legs, eyebrows, and bikini area.
Most of us visit the salon to get our waxing done. However, taking out the time and making an appointment can be a tiresome job at times. During such a situation, it is better to get waxing done at home. In fact, it is easy to make a homemade wax with very simple ingredients.
Things you will need
- One cup granulated sugar
- Half cup honey
- Half cup of lemon
- Tin container
Process of making the homemade wax
- In a medium-heavy saucepan, add 1 cup granulated sugar and put it over medium flame.
- Keep stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar starts melting and begins to caramelize.
- Now add ½ each of honey and lemon juice slowly into the mixture.
- Continue stirring until the mixture gets a consistency like that of a pancake batter.
- In case the mixture becomes too thick, add 1 tablespoon of water and mix properly.
- Remove from heat, and keep the mixture at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours so that it cools down.
- Transfer this homemade wax to a tin container and refrigerate it. Use it whenever you need to wax your body parts.
How to use the homemade wax
Use this homemade wax when it is warm. If it is cool, warm it in a double boiler. Before you start the waxing process, prepare your own strips with unused cotton or linen cloth. Else, you can use readymade strips that are easily available in the market. Also, keep a baby power, clean towel and a bowl of water along your side.
Always make sure to test the temperature of the wax before applying it to your skin.
- First, apply some baby powder on the body part that needs to be waxed, so that there is no body oil and moisture.
- Now apply the homemade wax using a wooden spatula, where desired. Make sure to apply it in the direction of your hair growth.
- Press the strip into the wax and smooth it in with the direction of hair growth using your hands.
- Allow the wax to cool completely and pull the strip off against the direction of hair growth at one go.
- Once your hands and legs are waxed, rinse the area with warm water and pat dry with a soft towel. Do not rub the towel against your skin as it can cause irritation.
- Finally apply a moisturizer.
- Avoid going out in the sun for a few hours after waxing. In case you have to, always wear a sunscreen.
- Avoid taking warm or hot water showers after waxing.
- Before you go to bed at night, apply a nourishing lotion on the waxed body parts to keep the skin moisturized.
- You can apply a cube of ice on the affected area to reduce itchiness and redness.
Benefits of using homemade wax
- As natural ingredients are used, you do not have to worry about skin infections.
- Lemon and honey used in this wax are good for your skin.
- This was will remove the unwanted hair comfortably and moisturize your skin.
- It will exfoliate your skin and open the pores of your skin to allow the dirt to get out.
- In addition, it cost of this homemade wax is much less as compared to other commercial wax products.
- It will help you to save time as you can use this wax anytime without the need to make an appointment in a beauty salon.