With age, the collagen which keeps the skin firm starts to breakdown leading towards the development of wrinkles and sagging skin. These signs of aging normally start after the age of 35, but at times wrinkles start appearing early. There can be several reasons behind this like too much stress, toxins, sun exposure, weight gain, disease and damaging free radicals.
To turn back the clock and look younger by years, the diet you follow play a major role. You need to consume more foods that are loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to not only protect it from aging but to keep it looking soft, healthy and youthful.
Here are the top 5 anti-wrinkle foods:
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes contain a plant antioxidant chemical known as lycopene, which help to keep the skin supple, youthful, and wrinkle free. Lycopene reduces skin cell damage and redness to reverse the skins aging process. Also lycopene acts as natural sun block, preventing the UV damage that causes sun spots, dryness and wrinkles. Tomatoes are also loaded with vitamin C, A, B, and E that boost collagen production, while neutralizing harmful molecules to keep skin from premature aging. It is recommended eating cooked tomatoes to enjoy its anti-aging benefits.
- Salmon: The high amount of Omega-3 fatty acids present in salmon helps a lot to keep skin soft and supple. Apart from nourishing dry skin, this essential fat makes hair beautiful and repair brittle nails. In addition to eating salmon, you can also eat other fishes like tuna, anchovies and sardines. In case you do not like to eat fish, you can try fish oil (approximately 2 to 3 grams per day) will help to maintain the youthfulness of your skin. Eat salmon in grilled or baked form to enjoy flawless skin.
- Blueberries: The powerful antioxidants found in blueberries fight free radicals to protect your skin from environmental aggressors and make the skin smooth, soft and healthy. Blueberries also have anti-inflammatory properties, which repair and protect the skin form damage. The high amount of vitamin C in it and can help strengthen collagen formation, thereby reducing the signs of aging and also reduce the risk of skin cancer. You can add blueberries to your morning breakfast or to a shake or eat them on their own as a healthy snack.
- Romaine Lettuce: Leafy greens like romaine lettuce is a great source of antioxidants – lutein and zeaxanthin. Studies have shown that these antioxidants significantly reduce risk of age-related macular degeneration and destroy the free radicals that cause damage to your skin. Also romaine lettuce is high in vitamin A that helps revitalize skin by increasing cell turnover and encouraging new skin cell growth. Try to include a few leaves of romaine lettuce to your salad or as a side dish with dinner to reduce the various signs of aging.
- Sunflower Seeds: Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of the fat-soluble vitamin, vitamin E. It has been found that Vitamin E can prevent cell damage from free radicals. Also sunflower seeds are selenium powerhouse which prevent collagen breakdown and boost the skin’s lipid barrier. Eating a handful of sunflower seeds daily will reduce wrinkles and improve skin elasticity. Sunflower oil can also be applied topically to the skin to prevent skin damage from the sun.
So, it’s time to opt for these natural food items to improve the texture of your skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Along with these foods, you need to make sure your system is properly hydrated and follow a proper skin care regimen.